Guest Room Renovation

Mockup of the final design
As always happens, we had no plans or intentions to redecorate our guest room. Then friends told us they were coming to visit and I was suddenly spurred on. 

When we first moved into the house, I wanted to do the room in a rich emerald green. This then morphed into light, dusty pink. And finally, after months of pondering, I realised it was a combination of the two that I wanted, and so we settled upon pink and green.


I don't have any good quality photos of the room before because my lovely other half started the renovation when I was abroad with work, so I only have these shoddy pictures of the house taken when we first viewed it (two years ago this week, in fact).




And here it is today


The walls are painted in Farrow & Ball Pink Ground and Green Blue. We deliberated between Pink Ground and Calamine - everyone else I asked voted for Calamine but I stood my ground, and I'm so glad I did. This perfect soft, dusty pink is gentle enough to be a neutral rather than an in-your-face pink.

The prints on the wall came from a small art gallery in Monterosso, Italy, bought on our holiday earlier this year. The frames are from Habitat.

The small pink side table and pink chair came from a fantastic shop in Newport called The Umbrella Project. We'd bought furniture from there before, so when I spotted these on Instagram a few weeks after we bought the house, we snapped them up straight away.


 The gold mirror and the two rectangular cushions came from a Marks & Spencer outlet shop in West Wales where I never fail to find bargains. I spotted the mirror months ago and originally intended for it to go in our master bedroom, but that project was going nowhere and at £149 the mirror was maybe a bit too pricey. And then we found it for half price in the outlet shop and snapped it up immediately.


The lamp on the bedside table came from TKMaxx probably over 15 years ago, and I still absolutely love it. It's followed me around lots of houses for many many years.


As you can see, none of the large bits of furniture have changed since we moved in. The wardrobe, bed and two chests of drawers were left behind by the previous tenants and they work fine for us at the moment.


The bedding came from H&M in the sale. I found it by complete accident and it was a complete bargain, so of course it went straight in my basket alongside the gorgeous Gucci-esque leopard cushion cover, which is probably my favourite item in the whole house, and this lovely leopard plant pot which is currently home to my pilea peperomioides.



I love my new guest room. I can't wait to update the furniture and, when Sam agrees, put up a shelf to house some more plants and bring a bit more greenery into the room. Oh, and buy a new light fitting to replace the bare bulb currently hanging from the ceiling.







No comments