Summer Style | Handbags

If there's one thing I'm terrible at buying, it's handbags. Don't get me wrong, I love bags. I have a flourishing handbag Pinterest board. I just never remember to actually buy them - or I fall in love with bags that would take me months to pay for. 
I use the same backpack every day for work, I have three shoulder bags - one in black, two brown - and three clutches - navy, brown and black. And some old, unloved others languishing in a drawer under my bed. My 'holiday bag' is a tattered, mint green backpack from ASOS that my mother bought me as a gift when I was still at University and I still use it every day on holiday, despite the fact that from day one the string-opening on it has been a nightmare to get in and out of and it now flakes bits of green all of the place. Really not what you want when you're hot, sweaty and trying to look chic.

The offending green backpack
So I've decided that this summer will be the one where I buy myself two or three new bags so that I never again have to battle with a tatty green backpack on a hot summer's day.
Here are my picks of some of the best bags of the moment:


The Basket
Round Rattan Bag - Wanderlust Wares
I'd be confident in saying that pretty much every single 'influencer' I follow has been toting a basket bag this past year. And who can blame them? They're the perfect mix of laid back boho style meets minimalist chic. I was desperate for a new basket bag last summer but instead I had to settle for removing the floral fabric ribbon from a 5 year old Primark beach bag - it didn't achieve the same effect.
So as part of my effort this year to not spend all of my money on my house and to actually buy new shoes and bags, I ordered this beauty from Wanderlust Wares last week as a birthday gift to myself. I can't wait to wear it with a floaty midi dress and some minimalist flats when the summer comes.

The New Bumbag
Belted Pocket Bag - COS
I hate 'athleisure'. There is no place in my wardrobe for tracksuits. But...I'm coming round to the modern-day bumbag, with references back to 80s shellsuits and ugly trainers. Again, I've lost track of the number of girls on Instagram I've seen wearing this bag. And because I'm a sucker for a trend, I want this bag so much. Though I've already admitted to myself that there's no way I'd be able to pull it off so it will probably remain on my Wish List of 'clothes I'd wear if I was a little bit cooler'.

The Two-Tone
Two-Tone City Bag - Zara
As I've already said, and will continue to say, red and pink is going to be big this summer. And Zara have caught onto the trend early. They've also aced it with this gorgeous pink and red dress. To me, red has always been a winter colour, only ever paired with the blackest of blacks, so I'm looking forward to trying to work it into my wardrobe a bit more this summer. This bag may just be the first step.

The Pretty One
Mini Mother-of-Pearl Tote - Zara
Look at it. Picture this with a midi A-line skirt, a pretty little summer top and some beautiful sandals, and you've got yourself a perfect summer outfit. I can't help but picture swinging this in one hand as I walk through the park in the middle of summer. It's in no way practical, and energetic swinging with a phone inside would likely do some damage but..look how pretty.

The Dreamboat
Broadway Leather Clutch - Gucci
And finally, because of my love of Gucci, and my borderline worrying obsession with bees, this had to be on here. The pink, the pearls, the blue, red, and white stripe strap, the bee, the gold chain: this bag has everything so surely it goes with everything. Right? It's too small to put a purse in, and it's so very 'trend' it would be old news before I'd even finished paying it off but still...I want it.

What bags will you be carrying this summer?



No comments